If you have recently tried to install the cumulative update 7 for Microsoft Windows 10, also known as KB 3093266, and it repeatedly fails, then I have a relatively simple fix which should solve the problem for you.
- Open Windows Explorer
- Navigate to your system drive
- Open the “Windows” folder
- Open the “SoftwareDistribution” folder
- Open the “Downloads” folder
- Select everything inside the “Downloads” folder.
- Delete everything you have selected.
- Empty the recycle bin.
- Click on the start orb.
- Click on the arrow on the right-hand side of the “Shut-Down” button.
- Click on “Restart” option which appears.
This will clear the cache of downloaded software updates, and force the cumulative update to download again. The last three steps will cause your computer to restart, so please make sure you have nothing open when you follow these steps.
In the coming days, I will write a small script which you can download and run to empty this folder for you. You will be able to download it from my apps page.